Now, four months later, when the boy wakes up in the morning (really anytime after midnight) and sleepily requests “up,” I lift him out of his crib, and he wraps his little hands around my neck. I cross the hall and we fall back to sleep in “the big bed”. I love the way he curls into my arms. I like listening to the sleepy noises he makes. I’m even amused, most of the time, when he goes horizontal and his feet end up in my face. I look forward to this quiet, close time together in the stillness of night. I’m guessing he must find comfort in it too or he wouldn’t request me to pick him up night after night.
I’m sure the authors of my toddler book would not be pleased. They strongly urge parents to help their children sleep on their own. This makes sense on a practical level, but the cuddle is so nice. It’s so basic. It feels like a positive step in our attachment (see that makes it sound more legit, right?) I’m telling myself we’ll reevaluate this habit when we change into a toddler bed. Until then, I will welcome all the snuggling I can get.
Our "staged" sleeping photo.

1 comment:
Hi! I'm Beth and my family will be meeting your in April. I was just checking your blog and loved this post!! Zac and I have been doing this for a year as well...and I probably won't stop anytime soon! However, we have recently switched to the Toddler Bed, per Master Zachary's request, and things are harder, but the morning cuddle has not stopped!!
Post a Comment