Even with all my attempts at being in the moment (as chronicled in previous posts), I've started feeling like my baby expectations are weighing me down. They are ever present. I play the "I wonder if" game. I wonder if the next time I see my mom Baby Barto will be with us? I wonder if next Christmas we'll be carting a little one to see Santa and light displays? I wonder if Baby Barto will be here when the next season of Entourage is on? It's like every future event, is prefaced with "I wonder if." At first this was a fun game to play, but as I watch things slow down a bit in adoption-land the "I wonder if" is starting to get exhausting. And even with a referral, we'll still nave more unknown waiting to do. Waiting for court, waiting for travel.
In an effort to let some of this go, I made a list. A list of all those thoughts, the counting, the wishes and expectations taking up space in my brain. And I set them on fire (in the grill). I wanted to symbolically release all these longings into the universe. I needed to feel lighter, to be more in the moment. As I watched the flame engulf my list, I started worrying that a spark would blow into the leaves and start a fire that would burn down our neighborhood. So, I put it out. (I know this is rather unlikely, but still I would've felt guity it I burnt down our neighborhood. Try explaining that to the neighbors and the fire department.)
But it felt good to acknowledge that I do have some control. I have control over how I approach the waiting, the unknown. I can control how I spend these next months. Rather than thinking about how something is missing from my life, I can enjoy all that is in my life right now, in this very moment. I can get excited for the holidays and the time spent with family and friends. I can send love into the world for Baby Barto, the people caring for him/her and for his/her first family. I can let go.
Entering a new week filled with possibilities.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment