Monday, February 14, 2011

An e-mail

I wrote an e-mail to the president of Black Parent Group of our local school district. The actual e-mail is in black. The red provides some (unsent) context.

Hello Ms. S,

I recently read the article about the BPG on the ** Public School News website (because I was googling “African American students **” in my on-going search for a diverse preschool). My son, who is adopted from Ethiopia (I hope you will then infer from this that I’m white because it felt awkward trying to insert it somewhere in this letter), will be entering preschool (can you recommend any preschools where my son will see other children and maybe even a teacher that look like him?) in the fall. Starting this process has made me aware of how quickly kindergarten will come. As a parent and former teacher, I am very interested in learning more about the BPG. Will you still be meeting on the 15th at 6:30? (Would it be okay if I came even though I’m white and my child isn’t even in school yet? Because this whole preschool thing has made me very aware that I need to work harder at making connections in the African American community)

Thank you for your time (I wanted to send this ahead of time, so someone would know why this white woman will be showing up to your meeting)
Sara

No comments: