Monday, November 22, 2010

Re-Entry

I just returned from a lovely three days with girlfriends in Dallas. Three days of chatting, laughter, shopping and eating. Three days of only being responsible for myself. It was refreshing and great. I thought I’d come home all relaxed and energized. Instead, I found myself a big ball of crankiness all day.

Switching my mindset back to stay-at-home-mom kicked my behind. I was irritated by the overturned milk, the constant potty reminders (yes, we’ve embarked on that project again), the whining, the laundry, the dishes, the dried pasta on the floor, the marching band CD, the constant negotiation over so many seemingly trivial things (why is it so hard to just ride in the shopping cart?). I snapped and rushed and generally wasn’t the warmest person to my son today. At one point I handed him the iPhone (which can entertain him for a good long while) and closed my eyes. I needed a moment to breathe through the grouchiness.


Yet, the thing is, I spent half of the weekend talking about Turo, staying at home and how much I am loving it. I really do. But there was something about that lighter, solo time that was hard to let go of today.

1 comment:

los cazadores said...

I understand that feeling very well. :)

O.A. is getting to the stage where everything is a constant negotiation. Simple things he used to jump at wanting to do are a "no, no" if it means we have to "go pee pee" before we leave the house to go do them. Yesterday before breakfast he had the meltdown of a century, and I was so proud of myself for remaining nonplussed. (which took actually more energy than getting all upset about it)